Great Britain 1987 sovereign
This specimen was lot 2559 in Goldberg sale 87 (Los Angeles, September 2015), where it sold for $323.12. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sovereign, 1987. Elizabeth II. NGC graded Proof 69 Ultra Cameo." This type was struck 1985-97 in some numbers (the peak mintage was 25,000 in 1985-86) but as it was sold at its gold value, it is unlikely any ever circulated as coin. Cleaned and damaged specimens are likely ex-jewelry.
Recorded mintage: 22,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW, designed by Raphael Maklouf.
Catalog reference: Fr-424; KM-943.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 87: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.