Great Britain 1987 2 pounds KM-944
This specimen was lot 23098 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $720. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 2 Pounds, 1987. PCGS PROOF-67 DEEP CAMEO Secure Holder. Free of visual imperfections with slight milky tone that surrounds many of the raised surfaces." This type was struck 1985-93 and 1999 in some numbers but as it was sold at its gold value, it is unlikely any ever circulated as coin. Cleaned and damaged specimens are likely ex-jewelry. Other two pound coins were struck in base metals for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 14,000 proofs.
Specification: 15.92 g, .917 fine gold, designed by Raphael Maklouf.
Catalog reference: S-4261; Fr-423; KM-944.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.