Great Britain 1985 sovereign
This specimen was lot 3545 in Goldberg sale 90 (Los Angeles, January 2016), where it sold for $276.12. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sovereign, 1985. Elizabeth II. Reverse: St. George slaying the dragon. NGC graded Proof 67 Ultra Cameo." This type of 1985-97 was not made in large numbers but these were sold to investors and collectors and not issued for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 17,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S.4271; Fr-424; KM-943.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 90: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.