Great Britain 1984 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 2557 in Goldberg sale 87 (Los Angeles, September 2015), where it sold for $141. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Half Sovereign, 1984. Elizabeth II. NGC graded Proof 70 Ultra Cameo." This type was struck 1980-84 in substantial numbers (the peak mintage was 2,500,000 in 1982) but as it was sold at its gold value, it is unlikely any ever circulated as coin. Cleaned and damaged specimens are likely ex-jewelry.
Recorded mintage: 22,000 proofs.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .1176 troy oz AGW, designed by Arnold Machin.
Catalog reference: Fr-421; KM-922.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 87: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.