Great Britain 1983 2 pounds
This specimen was lot 3296 in Goldberg sale 85 (Los Angeles, June 2015), where it sold for $588. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. 2 Pounds, 1983. Elizabeth II. Reverse: St. George. In original case. Choice Brilliant Proof." This type of 1980-83 is the first issue of two pounds since 1937 but these were sold to investors and collectors and not issued for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 13,000 proofs.
Specification: 15.92 g, .917 fine gold, .4693 ounce AGW.
Catalog reference: S-4121; Fr-420; KM-923.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 85: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.