Great Britain 1982 sovereign
This specimen was lot 3606 in Goldberg sale 67 (Los Angeles, January 2012), where it sold for $402.50. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sovereign, 1982. Elizabeth II. Brilliant Proof." This type was struck 1974-82 in substantial numbers (the peak mintage was 9,100,000 in 1979) but as it was sold at its gold value, it is unlikely any ever circulated as coin. Cleaned and damaged specimens are likely ex-jewelry.
Recorded mintage: 2,950,000 plus 23,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2354 troy oz AGW, designed by Arnold Machin.
Catalog reference: S.4204; KM-919.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey, Paul Rynearson and Jason Bradford, Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient & World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2011.