Great Britain 1981 sovereign
This specimen was lot 3523 in Goldberg sale 90 (Los Angeles, January 2016), where it sold for $352.50. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sovereign, 1981. Elizabeth II. Reverse: St. George slaying the dragon. NGC graded Proof 70 Ultra Cameo." This type of 1974-84 is the second largest issue of sovereigns since George V but these were sold to investors and collectors and not issued for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 5,000,000 plus 33,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-4204; Fr-418; KM-919.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 90: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.