Great Britain 1980 sovereign
This specimen was lot 20449 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $382. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Elizabeth II, 1952-Present. Sovereign, 1980. NGC PF-67 ULTRA CAMEO. Mature diadem head right. Rv. Pistrucci’s St. George and the Dragon. Ex: Royal Mint, 1980." This type of 1974-84 is the second large issue of sovereigns since George V but these were sold to investors and collectors and not issued for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 5,100,000 plus 91,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-4204; Fr-418; KM-919.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.