Great Britain 1979 sovereign
This specimen was lot 3291 in Goldberg sale 85 (Los Angeles, June 2015), where it sold for $323. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sovereign, 1979. Elizabeth II. In original case. Choice Brilliant Proof." This type of 1974-84 is the second large issue of sovereigns since George V but these were sold to investors and collectors and not issued for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 9,100,000 plus 50,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.99 g, .917 fine gold, .2355 ounce AGW.
Catalog reference: KM-919.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 85: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.