Great Britain 1961 penny
This specimen was lot 1079 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $1,997.50. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1961. PCGS PROOF-66. Brilliant proof surfaces. Pedigree: From the Kevin Tierney Collection." This type, struck 1954-67 and 1970, is very common except in proof.
Recorded mintage: 48,313,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 31 mm diameter, designed by Mary Gillick and George Krueger-Gray.
Catalog reference: S-4157: KM-897; Freeman-249.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.