Great Britain 1959 sovereign
This specimen was lot 70745 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, May 2018), where it sold for $630. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, 1959. PCGS MS-66 Secure Holder. Well struck and highly lustrous." This type of 1957-68 is the first large issue of sovereigns since George V but these were sold to investors and collectors and not issued for circulation.
Recorded mintage: 1,358,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-4125; Fr-417; KM-908.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The May 2018 Collector's Choice Sale, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.