Great Britain 1953 half penny
This specimen was part of lot 43186 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), which sold for $336. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Lot of (9) NGC-Certified Minor Coinage, 1938-64. All MS-65 to MS-66. A lovely modern group, spanning the reigns of George VI and Elizabeth II with denominations from 1/4 Penny (Farthing) to 6 Pence. All are graded as Gems with several displaying nice toning. Worthy of close inspection." This type was struck 1953 only. The obverse legend was shortened for the 1954 issue; this affected all the denominations.
Recorded mintage: 8,926,000 + 40,000 proofs.
Specification: 5.40 g, bronze, 25.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 882.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- 1953 farthing
- 1953 penny
- 1953 Maundy penny
- 1953 Maundy tuppence
- 1953 Maundy threepence
- 1953 Maundy fourpence
- 1953 sixpence
- 1953 shilling, Scottish reverse
- 1953 shilling, English reverse
- 1953 florin
- 1953 half crown
- 1953 crown, coronation
- 1957 Maundy penny
- Coins and currency dated 1953
- return to coins of Great Britain