Great Britain 1935 florin
This specimen was lot 2972 in Goldberg sale 91 (Los Angeles, June 2016), where it sold for $94. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Florin, 1935 Choice Unc. George V. Obverse modified effigy of king left by Bertram Mackennal. Reverse crowned cruciform shields. Superb iridescent blue and mauve toning. Choice Uncirculated." This type was struck in moderate numbers 1927-36 using a different reverse from the sterling issues of 1911-19.
Recorded mintage: 7,541,000 plus proofs; a slightly better date.
Specification: 11.31 g, .500 fine silver, 28.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.4038; ESC-954; KM-834.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 91: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.