Great Britain 1929 shilling
This specimen was lot 4114 in Goldberg sale 80 (Los Angeles, June 2014), where it sold for $94. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Shilling, 1929. George V. Choice uncirculated, frosty and resembles the appearance of a Proof or specimen striking. Choice Uncirculated." This type was struck 1927-36 in substantial numbers tho the 1927 is a proof only date. It superseded a type struck 1911-27 with a different reverse (KM 829). This date is common in all grades.
Recorded mintage: 19,343,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 5.65 g, .500 fine silver, .090 troy oz ASW, 23.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.4039; KM-833.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Frank Draskovic and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 80: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.