Great Britain 1927 half penny
"George V Proof Halfpenny 1927, Modified Effigy, PR65 RB NGC, light golden brown surfaces. This is the extremely rare Proof of Record of this year, the same year in which sets were made for sale to collectors but those sets contained only the silver issues. The bronzes were excluded, for a reason unknown, thus creating serious rarities which, years ago, were simply unobtainable by the public. In the past several decades, a few examples of most dates of the early 20th century's POR coinage have come to market from such sources as the Norweb Collection (sold in the mid 1980s in London, the property of a former U.S. Ambassador to Great Britain and his wife, an avid numismatist) and from the sale of duplicates by museums which had acquired such coins at issue directly from the Royal Mint. When today's collectors encounter coins such as this halfpenny, slabbed and neatly offered in auctions such as this, they seldom appreciate the rigors (such as World War II) through which these coins passed, in order to reach the market today."The half pennies of George V were issued 1911-36 and all the dates are common but proofs are rare. This sub-type was issued 1925-27.
Recorded mintage: 15,590,000 plus a few proofs.
Specification: bronze, 25.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S4057, KM 824, P2305.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.