Great Britain 1926 penny KM-826
This specimen was lot 3888 in Stack's-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $246.75. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1926. PCGS AU-50 BN Secure Holder. Modified effigy. RARE. Lovely mahogany patina." In 1926, in an attempt to alleviate persistent striking problems, the king's bust was modified. This not proving satisfactory, it was modified again in 1928 (KM 838) and struck in that form until 1936.
Recorded mintage: 4,499,000 (including KM-810).
Specification: 9.45 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-4054; KM-826; Peck-2265.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.