Great Britain 1926 half penny
This specimen was lot 20396 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,050. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Penny, 1926. NGC PROOF-65 RB. Modified bust. Crisp strike details with flashy proof surfaces displaying lovely hues of cinnamon, amber, apricot and hints of original mint red. A choice and tremendous example RARELY seen at auction. A lovely example not to be missed." The half pennies of George V were issued 1911-36 and all the dates are common but proofs are rare. This sub-type was issued 1925-27.
Recorded mintage: 6,712,000.
Specification: 5.4 g, bronze, 25.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-4056; KM-824.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Freeman, Michael J., The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain, Rev. Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2006.
- Peck, C. Wilson, English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd Ed., London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.