Great Britain 1926 florin
This specimen was lot 4137 in Goldberg sale 70 (Los Angeles, September 2012), where it sold for $126.50. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Florin, 1926. George V. Russet mottle tone. NGC graded MS-64." This type was struck 1911-19 in sterling silver (.925 fine), 1920-26 in .500 fine silver and 1927-36 with a slightly modified bust and a different reverse. The denomination was converted to copper-nickel in 1947 and ceased in 1967.
Recorded mintage: 5,125,000.
Specification: 11.31 g, .500 fine silver, .181 troy oz ASW, 28.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.4022a; KM-817a.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ira and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg sale 70: The Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles, CA: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2012.