Great Britain 1921 shilling
This specimen was lot 2951 in Goldberg sale 91 (Los Angeles, June 2016), where it sold for $188. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Shilling, 1921 NGC MS65. George V. King's nose points to S in GEORGIVS variety. Obverse portrait left by Mackennal. Reverse, lion on crown. A beautiful silky light silver finish on this rare variety. NGC graded MS-65." This type was struck in large numbers 1911-19, then reduced to .500 fine for 1920-26. A slightly modified bust was used 1926-36.
Recorded mintage: 22,649,000, a slightly better date.
Specification: 5.66 g, .500 fine silver, 23.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.4023A; ESC-1431; KM-816a.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 91: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.