Great Britain 1919 penny
This specimen was part of lot 30606 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), which sold for $340.75. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Pennies, 1912-H & 1919. 2 pieces in lot. Well struck examples with strong luster...the 1919 is PCGS MS-65 RD Secure Holder. From the Kevin Tierney Collection. The 1919 piece is Ex: Amon Carter Collection." This type was struck in large numbers 1911-36. The bust was modified in 1926 (KM 826) and again in 1928 (KM 838) to alleviate striking problems.
Recorded mintage: 113,761,000.
Specification: 9.45 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter, designed by George Krueger-Gray.
Catalog reference: S-4052; KM-810; Freeman-185.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.