Great Britain 1919 1/2 crown
This specimen was lot 4378 in Goldberg sale 84 (Los Angeles, January 2015), where it sold for $99.87. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Halfcrown, 1919. George V. Nicely toned mint state example of this rare date. NGC graded MS-63." The silver half crown (2½ shillings) was struck in this fineness until 1920, when it was debased to .500 fine. Weakly struck specimens are common.
Recorded mintage: 10,267,000.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver, 32.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.4011; ESC-766; KM-818.1.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 84: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.