Great Britain 1917 penny
This specimen was lot 2944 in Goldberg sale 91 (Los Angeles, June 2016), where it sold for $58.75. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Penny, 1917 Choice Unc. George V. Obverse portrait of King by Mackennal, Reverse, Britannia. Brilliant mint state with nearly full original mint red. Rare thus. Choice Uncirculated." This type was struck in large numbers 1911-26 and worn specimens fill dealer junk boxes. A slightly modified bust was used 1927-36.
Recorded mintage: 107,905,000.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 31 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.4051; KM-810.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 91: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.