Great Britain 1916 florin
This specimen was lot 2942 in Goldberg sale 91 (Los Angeles, June 2016), where it sold for $106.25. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Florin, 1916 Choice Unc. George V. Obverse Mackennal's portrait of king left. Reverse crowned cruciform shields. Uncirculated with an intriguing gold and blue tone. Choice Uncirculated." This type was struck in large numbers 1911-19, then reduced to .500 fine in 1920. The SCWC notes that the issues of World War One frequently come weak.
Recorded mintage: 21,064,000.
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver, 28.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.4012; ESC-935; KM-817.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 91: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.