Great Britain 1915 sovereign
This specimen was lot 20432 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $588. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George V, 1910-1936. Sovereign, 1915. NGC MS-63. Bare bust left. Rv. Pistrucci’s St. George and the Dragon, date below. Flashy luster. Ex: Henry Christensen, 1973." This was issued in large numbers 1911-17 with another issue in 1925 during Britain's last attempt to maintain the gold standard. Sovereigns minted since 1937 were for collectors and bullion investors and not intended to circulate.
Recorded mintage: 20,295,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3996; Fr-404; KM-820.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.