Great Britain 1914 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 20436 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $282. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. George V, 1910-1936. Half-Sovereign, 1914. NGC MS-63. Bare bust left. Rv. Pistrucci’s St. George and the Dragon, date below. Pedigree unrecorded." This was issued in large numbers 1911-15. Half sovereigns minted since 1937 were for collectors and bullion investors and not intended to circulate.
Recorded mintage: 7,251,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-4006; Fr-405; KM-819.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.