Great Britain 1911 2 pounds
This specimen was lot 31183 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $11,750. The catalog description noted, "George V gold Proof 2 Pounds 1911 PR67 Cameo NGC. A sublime specimen with delicate contrast and impressive, reflective depth in the mirrored fields. This superb jewel is virtually unrivaled in both appearance and technical quality and boasts surfaces the color of pure honey. Currently the finest-known certified example of this one-year type, nearly flawless and well-deserving of much attention from those who demand the best." This is the only issue of two pounds for the reign and was minted for the proof sets presented that year.
Recorded mintage: 2,812 proofs.
Specification: 15.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 821, Fr-403, S-3995.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.