Great Britain 1911 2 pence
This specimen was part of lot 40168 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $9,106. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Proof Set, 1911. Maundy Penny to 5 Pounds. Full Twelve Piece 1911 Proof Set Fr-402-405; S-PS11; KM-PS17. Silver and gold 12 piece Proof set in original red Royal mint case. A nice original set and very attractive." The silver two pence was not struck for circulation after 1848 yet was issued every year in the Maundy sets.
Recorded mintage: 1,635.
Specification: 0.94 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-812.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.