Great Britain 1911 1/2 crown
This specimen was part of lot 40168 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $9,106. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Proof Set, 1911. Maundy Penny to 5 Pounds. Full Twelve Piece 1911 Proof Set Fr-402-405; S-PS11; KM-PS17. Silver and gold 12 piece Proof set in original red Royal mint case. A nice original set and very attractive." The silver half crown (2½ shillings) was struck in this fineness until 1920, when it was debased to .500 fine.
Recorded mintage: 2,915,000 circulation strikes plus 6,007 proofs.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-818.1.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.