Great Britain 1908 penny
This specimen was lot 3907 in Goldberg sale 85 (Los Angeles, June 2015), where it sold for $100. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Penny, 1908. Edward VII. Uncirculated with virtually full original mint red. This is the rare type of 1907 (Freeman 164 - Obverse 1/reverse C). Difficult to find in top grades." This type was struck 1902-10 in substantial numbers. Worn specimens fill dealer junk boxes but nice specimens are scarce.
Recorded mintage: 31,506,000.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 31 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3990; KM-794.2.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 85: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.