Great Britain 1908 half crown
This specimen was lot 4751 in Goldberg sale 74 (Los Angeles, June 2013), where it sold for $1,265 including buyer's fees. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Halfcrown, 1908. Edward VII. An especially rare date in this mint state grade. NGC graded MS-63." This type was struck 1902-10 in substantial numbers but nice specimens are scarce.
Recorded mintage: 1,759,000.
Specification: 14.13 g, .925 fine silver, .420 troy oz ASW, 32.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3980; ESC-753; KM-802.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender and Steven Harvey, Goldberg Sale 74: the pre-Long Beach Sale, featuring the Arden Collection, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2013.