Great Britain 1905 sovereign
This specimen was lot 20418 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $1,998. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Edward VII, 1901-1910. Sovereign, 1905. NGC MS-63. Bare head right. Rv. Pistrucci’s St. George and the Dragon, date below. An example that is blazing, fresh, and perfect for the type. Ex: Windsor, 1971." This type was struck 1902-10 in considerable numbers and is the only sovereign for Edward VII.
Recorded mintage: 5,910,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-400; S-3969; KM-806.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.