Great Britain 1905 half crown
This specimen was lot 3235 in Goldberg sale 87 (Los Angeles, September 2015), where it sold for $9,987.50. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Halfcrown, 1905. Edward VII. Obverse, bare headed portrait of king right by de Saulles EDWARDVS VII DEI GRA BRITT OMN REX. Reverse, crowned shield of arms within garter FID DEF IND IMP above, HALF CROWN and date below. Practically mint state with just a little surface abrasion evident. All Edward VII Halfcrowns are tough to find in high grade, but the 1905 is well-nigh impossible to locate in grades over Very Fine. The current catalogue values of around $8200 in XF and $16,500 in basic Unc may be considered conservative. Extremely rare. NGC graded AU-58." This is the key date of a type struck 1902-10.
Recorded mintage: 166,000.
Specification: 14.13 g, .925 fine silver, .420 troy oz ASW, 32.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3980; ESC-750; KM-802.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 87: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.