Great Britain 1904 shilling
This specimen was lot 33139 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $1,920. The catalog description noted, "Edward VII Shilling 1904 MS64 PCGS. A fine specimen, with none currently graded higher at PCGS or NGC. Frosty and highly attractive." This type was struck 1902-10 in substantial numbers but nice specimens are scarce.
Recorded mintage: 2,040,000, a better date but 1905 is the key.
Specification: 5.66 g, .925 fine silver, 23.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 800.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.