Great Britain 1904 half crown
This specimen was lot 29959 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Edward VII 1/2 Crown 1904 MS62 PCGS, Royal mint. A scarcer date in this series; we have offered only one other example of this date in our history, which was over 6 years ago. That one, also graded MS62, hammered at $1,200. Two dark toning spots on the shield on the reverse, but very pleasing otherwise. A very solid example for someone looking to complete a date run of halfcrowns. From The Bob Bennett Collection." This is a scarce date of a type struck 1902-10.
Recorded mintage: 710,000.
Specification: 14.13 g, .925 fine silver, .420 troy oz ASW, 32.3 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3980; ESC-750; KM-802.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.