Great Britain 1902 sovereign
This specimen was lot 50161 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $828. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, Sovereign, 1902. PCGS MS-64. Lustrous." This type was struck 1902-10 in considerable numbers and is the only sovereign for Edward VII.
Recorded mintage: 4,738,000 plus 15,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-400; S-3969; KM-804.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Krause, Chester L, and Clifford Mishler, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.