Great Britain 1900 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 43160 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $264. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Sovereign, 1900. PCGS MS-64 Gold Shield. Brilliant with soft satin luster." This type was struck 1893-1901 in considerable numbers. This "old bust" is the most familiar and most common of Victoria's half sovereigns.
Recorded mintage: 4,307,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, reeded edge.
Catalog reference: S-3878; Fr-397; KM-784.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.