Great Britain 1899 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 20410 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $212. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Victoria, 1837-1901. Half-Sovereign, 1899. NGC AU-55. Old veiled head left. Rv. Pistrucci’s St. George and the Dragon, date below. Ex: Milchak, 1975." This specimen is from a type was struck 1893-1901 in large numbers. A half sovereign was worth ten shillings.
Recorded mintage: 3,362,000.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold, .117 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: S-3878; Fr-397; KM-784.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.