Great Britain 1897 penny
This specimen was lot 33127 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $600. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Penny 1897 MS65 Red PCGS. A pleasing example of the normal sea level variety, this piece exudes bright coppery color and luster that softly folds itself, without intruding, on the devices." This penny was struck 1893-1901 in large numbers. Note the die breaks on the obverse.
Recorded mintage: 20,757,000, common, tho the high sea level variety is scarce.
Specification: 9.45 g, bronze.
Catalog reference: KM 790, S-3961.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.