Great Britain 1897 crown
This specimen was lot 9436 in Ponterio sale 151 (Baltimore, November 2009), where it sold for $345. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1897. BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED." The catalog failed to note whether the edge is marked ANNO REGNI LX or ANNO REGNI LXI, most likely becuase the the SCWC prices them the same. The type was struck 1893-1900 in some numbers but is rather expensive in nice condition. A crown was worth five shillings or sixty pence.
Recorded mintage: 262,000.
Specification: 28.27 g, .925 fine silver, .840 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S 3937; KM 783, Dav-108.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, Ponterio sale 151: The 2009 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2009.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.