Great Britain 1893 sovereign
This specimen was lot 40165 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, 1893. PCGS PROOF-64+ Deep Cameo. Secure Holder. Tied for second finest Deep Cameo graded by PCGS." This type was struck 1893-1901 in considerable numbers. This "old bust" is the most familiar and most common of Victoria's sovereigns.
Recorded mintage: 6,898,000.
Specification: 7.98 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-396a; S-3874; KM-785.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.