Great Britain 1893 6 pence
This specimen was lot 25026 in Heritage sale 3015 (Long Beach, September 2011), where it sold for $805. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof Sixpence 1893, Old or Veiled Head, PR66 NGC, Gem Proof, deep proof impression producing superb sharpness of detail, mottled but lovely, rich iridescent gray toning, an utterly charming example." This bust of the queen was used from 1893 until her death in 1901. The type is common but this is the only date for which proofs are listed.
Recorded mintage: 7,010,000 plus 1,312 proofs.
Specification: 3.01 g, .925 fine silver, .089 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S3941, KM 779.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.