Great Britain 1893 1/2 sovereign
This specimen was lot 22769 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $299. The catalog description noted, "Victoria gold Half Sovereign 1893, Old or Veiled Head, uncertified, satiny UNC and quite pleasing." This type was struck 1893-1901 in considerable numbers. This "old bust" is the most familiar and most common of Victoria's half sovereigns.
Recorded mintage: 4,427,000 (including the Jubilee type) plus 773 proofs.
Specification: 3.99 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-397; S-3878; KM-766.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- 1891 sovereign
- 1892 ½ sovereign
- 1893 penny
- 1893 silver penny
- 1893 2 pence
- 1893 threepence, Jubilee head
- 1893 3 pence
- 1893 4 pence
- 1893 6 pence
- 1893 shilling
- 1893 florin
- 1893 half crown
- 1893 crown
- 1893 2 pounds
- 1893 sovereign
- 1896 ½ sovereign
- Coins and currency dated 1893
- return to coins of Great Britain