Great Britain 1892 florin
The first specimen was lot 2140 in Goldberg sale 106 (Los Angeles, September 2018), where it sold for $780. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Florin, 1892. Victoria. Jubilee head of Queen left. Reverse: Crowned cruciform shields. Rare date in top grades. NGC graded MS-62." The second specimen was lot 1061 in Goldberg sale 89 (New York, January 2016), where it sold for $14,040. The catalog description noted, "Victoria (1837-1901). Silver Proof Florin, 1892. Jubilee bust left. Rev. Crowned cruciform shields, sceptres in angles, garter star at centre, struck en médaille, edge, milled (ESC 875 R6). In PCGS holder graded PR64, very attractively toned. Of the highest rarity, the only specimen we are aware of in commerce. According to the J G Murdoch catalogue, Sotheby, 15 March 1904, lot 581 note, this is one of only five struck, four of which were to be placed into a silver plate for Her Majesty, this coin being the only one not in the plate and therefore the only one available to own. Presumably ex J G Murdoch, Sotheby, 15 March 1904, lot 581 (part) ex Baron Phillipe de Ferrari la Renotierre Collection, "Nobleman", Sotheby, 29 March 1922, lot 339 ex Mrs E M Norweb Collection (part I), Spink Auction 45, 13 June 1985, lot 286 ex St James's Auction 18, 27 September 2011, lot 452 ex A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd, Fixed Price List, Winter 2011, item BM105." This type was struck 1887-92 with the 1887 being the common date. A florin was two shillings or one-tenth of a pound; the denomination was introduced in 1848.
Recorded mintage: 283,000 plus proofs, a scarce date.
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S.3925; ESC-874 (Rarity-2); KM-762.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 106: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2018.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.