Great Britain 1892 florin
This specimen was lot 2140 in Goldberg sale 106 (Los Angeles, September 2018), where it sold for $780. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Florin, 1892. Victoria. Jubilee head of Queen left. Reverse; Crowned cruciform shields. Rare date in top grades. NGC graded MS-62." This type was struck 1887-92 with the 1887 being the common date. A florin was two shillings or one-tenth of a pound; the denomination was introduced in 1848.
Recorded mintage: 283,000 plus proofs, a scarce date.
Specification: 11.31 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S.3925; ESC-874 (Rarity-2); KM-762.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 106: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2018.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.