Great Britain 1890 penny
This specimen was lot 4366 in Goldberg sale 75 (Los Angeles, September 2013), where it sold for $161. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Penny, 1890. Victoria. Nice uncirculated with lots of mint red. NGC graded MS-63 Red & Brown." This type was struck 1860-74 at London and Heaton with a slightly modified obverse extending to 1894.
Recorded mintage: 15,331,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 8.8 g, bronze.
Catalog reference: S.3954; KM 755.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Jason Villareal and Steven Harvey, Goldberg Sale 75: the pre-Long Beach Sale, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2013.