Great Britain 1890 half penny
This specimen was lot 4338 in Goldberg sale 84 (Los Angeles, January 2015), where it sold for $129. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Halfpenny, 1890. Victoria. NGC graded MS-64 Red & Brown." This type was struck 1874-94 in large numbers and is common tho some dates are rare in nice condition.
Recorded mintage: 11,254,000, a common date.
Specification: 5.4 g, bronze, 25.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S.3956; KM-754.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 84: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.