Great Britain 1890 half crown
This specimen was lot 1586 in Goldberg sale 116 (Los Angeles, June 2020), where it sold for $288. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Halfcrown, 1890. Victoria. Jubilee head. Superb mint state with deep attractive toning. PCGS graded MS-64+." This type was struck 1887-92 and is known as the "Jubilee head" for Queen Victoria (r. 1837-1901). It is a fairly readily available half crown in nice condition and none of the dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: 3,228,000.
Specification: 14.14 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: S.3924; ESC-723; KM-764.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 116: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2020.