Great Britain 1890 double florin
"GRANDE-BRETAGNE, Victoria (1837-1901), AR double florin, 1890. Fines griffes au droit. Superbe à Fleur de Coin. (Great Britian, queen Victoria (1837-1901), silver double florin of 1890, fine scratches on obverse, extremely fine to uncirculated.)"The SCWC lists this type for 1887-90. It and the florin were struck in an experiment to decimalize the pound (10 florins = one pound). The florin was accepted but the double florin was a flop.
Recorded mintage: 782,000.
Specification: 22.62 g, .925 fine silver, .6727 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3923; KM-763.
- Elsen, Philippe, et al., Vente Publique 123, Brussels: Jean Elsen et ses Fils, S.A., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.