Great Britain 1889 penny
This specimen was lot 22981 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $80. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Penny, 1889. PCGS MS-63 RB Secure Holder. 15 leaves in wreath. Good strike with considerable mint luster. From the Brighton Collection." This penny was struck 1874-94 in several varieties and is common, tho the proofs are rare. Worn specimens fill dealer junk boxes. Numerous varieties exist.
Recorded mintage: 12,560,000, listed as a better date despite the large mintage.
Specification: 9.4 g, bronze, 30.8 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: S-3954, obverse 12; KM-755.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.