Great Britain 1888 6 pence
This specimen was lot 4332 in Goldberg sale 84 (Los Angeles, January 2015), where it sold for $105.75. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Sixpence, 1888. Victoria. Delightful golden blue tone. Crisp mint state. NGC graded MS-65." This sixpence with the "Jubilee head" of the queen was issued 1887-93 in large numbers and is common tho choice specimens are seldom seen. The 1887 was extensively saved and is the most available date.
Recorded mintage: 4,198,000 plus proofs.
Specification: 2.83 g, .925 silver.
Catalog reference: S.3929; ESC-1756; KM-760.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 84: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.