Great Britain 1887 shilling KM 734.4
This specimen was lot 24098 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $8,812.50. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof Shilling 1887, Young Head, reeded edge, PR65 NGC, a gorgeous example of this last year of this style of portrait (and reverse design), as it was the Jubilee Year. This beauty has reflective surfaces slightly subdued by rich silvery gray and pale gold iridescence, and is thoroughly original and particularly rare as such. A Proof of Record." This bust of the queen was used from 1838-87. The type is common but proofs are rare.
Recorded mintage: 4,034,000 (including the Jubilee head).
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3907, KM 734.4.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.