Great Britain 1887 shilling KM 734.4
This specimen was lot 24098 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $8,812.50. The catalog description noted, "Victoria Proof Shilling 1887, Young Head, reeded edge, PR65 NGC, a gorgeous example of this last year of this style of portrait (and reverse design), as it was the Jubilee Year. This beauty has reflective surfaces slightly subdued by rich silvery gray and pale gold iridescence, and is thoroughly original and particularly rare as such. A Proof of Record." This bust of the queen was used from 1838-87. The type is common but proofs are rare.
Recorded mintage: 4,034,000 (including the Jubilee head).
Specification: 5.65 g, .925 fine silver, .168 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3907, KM 734.4.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bressett, Kenneth E., A Guide Book of English Coins, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1962.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- 1886 shilling
- 1887 farthing
- 1887 half penny
- 1887 penny
- 1887 threepence, Jubilee head
- 1887 sixpence, young head
- 1887 sixpence
- 1887 shilling, Jubilee head
- 1887 florin, Jubilee head
- 1887 half crown, young head
- 1887 half crown, Jubilee head
- 1887 double florin
- 1887 crown
- 1887 half sovereign
- 1887 sovereign
- 1887 5 pounds
- 1887 2 pounds
- Coins and currency dated 1887
- return to coins of Great Britain